Real Salt Lake half way through the CONCACAF Champions League after drawing against CF Monterrey

  • Reading time:4 mins read
  • Post comments:0 Comments

Real Salt Lake half way through the CONCACAF Champions League after drawing against CF Monterrey

Real Salt Lake makes Major League Soccer history after ending the CONCACAF Champions League final’s first leg against CF Monterrey in a 2—2 stalemate. The team is now officially half way to the title. Jason Kreis’ boys were all the way on the top of what
was called a heated up match between two teams from neighbouring countries, USA and Mexico.

Aldo de Nigris and his fellow striker Humberto Suazo scored for the hosts at Estadio Tecnologico and centre-back Nat Borchers and Argentinean import Javier Morales scored the levelling tallies.

The match started in an interesting manner and both the teams went physical right from the start. However, despite being at their home ground, Monterrey’s players were in a frizzle but the pressure lifted up a little bit in 9th minute when Suazo
fired the shot out of the box. RSL keeper Nick Rimando was forced to jump at his spot as the ball merely missed he poles and flew over the post.

The next try however did not go wasted for the home team. De Nigris scored for the team in the 18th minute to take the early lead. Sergio “Cherokee” Pérez got attached to the ball at the half line. The right-back dribbled near the box and crossed
the ball targeted at De Nigris. After a few deflections, the ball ultimately reached striker’s feet and the player weighted the pass and the found the empty portion of the net to score home match’s first goal.

Víctor Manuel Vucetich reached a controversial decision of subbing Pérez and Nigris, both assistant and scorer of the first goal, with Jesús Zavala and Osvaldo Martínez respectively in 21 and 22nd minute.

However the 9th minute try and early goal did not change Laker’s style of play and the team enjoyed most of the first half ball possession in front of 28,000 spectators, mostly supporting the Striped Ones.

Borchers pulled off the first equalizer seventeen minutes later. Fabian Espindola, though did not net the ball for himself but his presence proved handful against Monterrey as he played the vital part in suppressing Los Rayados. The player came into the
picture in 28th minute and provided Alvaro Saborio with and one way pass. The striker would score the equalizer had he missed Jonathan Orozco’s hands in the middle of the poles.

However, RSL did not fall back and seven minutes later Espindola was again a nightmare for Vucetich’s boys. The player back crossed the ball near the side line to feed Saborio with it however it found Monterrey defence which kicked it over the side line.

Will Johnson received the corner kick and found unmarked Borchers in the middle of the penalty area. Borchers did not disappoint and head home to level the score line 1—1 at the half-time.

The second half started much more physical than the first one. However, Monterrey feasted on Jamison Olave’s hand ball in 63rd minute. Referee pointed at the spot for a penalty in favour of the hosts and Suazo stepped up to convert it.

For the next 16 minutes the home players were unable to score a third goal in order to cement the lead. Claret and Cobalt on the other hand benefited from the deficiency and Morales scored the leveller.

Saborio’s sub, Alvarez snatched the ball from one of Monterrey’s defender and slipped it to Morales, who was standing at the top of the box. The player waited for a couple of seconds to find the perfect angle and smoked the ball into the empty net to score
the dream equalizer.

Real will now host Monterrey at Rio Tinto, a place where the team bears a 37-match undefeated streak on all fronts. The match is scheduled on April 27, Wednesday. A 0—0 or 1—1 draw will take RSL to Japan for the 2011 FIFA Club World Cup in December.


Leave a Reply