Hosts recovered from early scare; Irish secure win over Wasps

  • Reading time:4 mins read
  • Post comments:0 Comments

London Irish survived the first half scare from the London Wasps who till the end of the first half look all set to repeat what they did to the Irish by beating
them 33 – 25 in November, last year. The contest took place on Madejski Stadium; Reading during the weekends, which kept the London Irish’s hopes alive, for making to the final four to play in the play offs of the Aviva Premiership.

London Irish with this win are currently placed 5th place with 48 points five points behinds the fourth place Northampton Saints. London Irish so
far has played 19 games winning 10 and losing 9 games, however with Bath Rugby performing the upset in earlier rounds the situation is very interesting at for many it’s still anybody place in top four.

London Irish were able to secure this win courtesy of Wasps’ ill discipline during the game particularly during the last 50 minute of the game. London Irish
were 1st to put score on board after Wasps fly half Dave Walder failed on the penalty kick. In reply, the Irish made a run to take the ball to Wasps 20 m line and win their first penalty of the game. In fifth minute, it was London Irish fly half
Don Homer to score his first penalty in the game to put the Irish in front in this all-important match for them. Wasps that have played probably the best passage of rugby in past few matches came back strongly and made Irish to work hard in almost everything,
be it if Irish were defending or looking to take the ball in their possession. London Wasps built enjoyed the ball possession and slowly started to gain the territory and challenge the Irish defense.  During the ninth minute of the game, London Wasps through
their Centre Riki Flutey who scored his first try. A try which itself was masterly crafted with the moves knitted by the Fly Half Walder, Centre Waldouck, Winger Lemi and finally Flutey to score the game’s maiden try. Dave Walder followed by the conversion
to extend the Wasps lead by 4 points in the 10th minute of the game. Few minutes later due to error in Irish defending, Wasps scored another try through their Hooker Rob Webber to take the score to 12 – 3 in the fifth minute.

At this moment London Wasps were clearly in front not only point wise but also most importantly with their on-field performance. However, they seemed to lots
the venom or the catalyst for their performance thereon and failed to add even a single point. London Irish on the other hand came back beautifully, and really stick to even the slightest of the opportunity that the London Wasps has provided them. Tom Homer
afterward scored landed five penalties to end the game with 20 points to his name. Irish also pulled on try back on Wasps, with substituted Hooker David Paice scoring try in the 55th minute of the game.

London Irish Lock Gary Johnson was shown Yellow card in 79th minute but despite of this Wasps were not able to make any sort of in roads in the Irish
half. Wasps at the end would be hugely disappointed with the fact they have conceded the match after getting themselves in a great position. London Irish will need to address their issues and get the unit fine-tuned if they really want to give themselves a
chance to snatch the position from 4th place Northampton Saints or 3rd place Gloucester Rugby.

Leave a Reply